Dog Hearing Testing
What causes hearing loss in puppies?
The exact causes remain unknown. We do know that particular genes are associated with hearing loss. The association of a blue eye may also be associated with hearing loss. However, many dogs with one or both blue eyes have normal hearing, so the penatrence of the gene is variable. The incidence of hearing loss is higher in some breeds than others. In my practice I have noticed Dalmatians, White English Bull Dogs and Boston Terriers have a relatively high incidence.
Testing procedures use Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response (BAER) methods
Detailed information about BAER available here
- Evaluations of puppies and adult dogs
- Puppies must be 6-8 weeks of age
- No anesthetics are used while performing the testing
- Test takes approximately 10 minutes per dog
Testing is performed by Donald York, Ph.D.
Dr. York's Experience
- MSc and PhD in Neurophysiology
- 18 years Professor of Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia
- 16 years Director of Neuroscience (including Audiology), St. John's Mercy Medical Center